
So now that I'm 21, I'm a real person. I mean, I guess your a real person at 18, when you become a legal adult, but in my world your not a real person until you can go to a bar and get shitfaced. That's responsibility.
But I am sad. Being 21 may seem like the best thing in the world, but nay, I was unprepared and now there is nothing I can do about it. Time has flown by so fast, and I can no longer get away with the old crap I used to.
Which brings me to Seventeen Magazine. This was a slumber party staple since 4th grade, reading about how to make boys like us and what nail polish color is in season. This magazine was a young girls bible on development and sex, even though looking back on it now, it is completely absurd and at times wholly untrue. Regardless, this was our bible.
And I figured it was obviously targeted for teens (seeing as the title itself specifies an age range). So with a title like 17 , it is understood that anyone 17 and under could partake in the fantasy of it's glossy pages.
When I turned 18, I figured I could still hack it, what's one year?
At 19, I reasoned that still being a teen, I was still able to pass the seventeen magazine height limit.
At 20...well I was too broke to spend money on shitty magazines.
And now I'm 21, and as I pass by the magazine rack at the convenience store, I wonder if I could get away with it? I mean, in truth, its only 4 years behind me...and I always have been a little immature.
And in truth, there is nothing in that magazine that would even really interest me anymore, but it's the principal of the matter. Why must certain things have age ranges? Why can't it be socially acceptable to play midnight games of manhunt and watch are you afraid of the dark at sober slumber parties (which sounds wicked awesome right now)? Why do playgrounds have age limits (ok, I know the answer to that one, but don't let pedophilia ruin my point)? Why can't I wear lion king onesies to school, or spend all day in my pjs (granted I do both anyways)? What I'm really trying to get at here....is why do we have to grow up? And when did that shit go down?
I am going to sit here in my snuggie and ponder a little longer, but please let me know what you think.
Peace,
G.
No comments:
Post a Comment