Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Welcome to Ankara, where the Sun is always playing hide-and-seek.


So today there were two major events that occurred-

1) Debbie has officially learned how to use skype! She went out and bought a webcam and set it up herself and we skyped for a good 45 minutes!!! I have some great pictures from the event but I promised her I wouldn’t post them. Also, I got a chance to see Vinnie the snake! He’s getting so big and I miss him so much…


2) I ran a bunch of errands today- got a tax number, picked up my residence permit, and opened a bank account. In itself, this does not sound noteworthy, but it was within the errands that I had another eye-opening revelation.

It has come to my attention, today and previously, that as a whole Americans are severely unwelcoming and almost overly space-conscious. There is a distinct lack of love and trust in the majority of Americans lives, something that I too possess, but it is always the thing I notice most when I travel.

Let me expound….

Today, at the bank, a woman sat down next to us and overheard us speaking English. This in itself was embarrassing because I was acting like a child because I was impatient waiting to open an account, so this involved much negative social commentary on the people who were cutting in front of us in line, and also the alternative torture I would rather have received instead of waiting at the bank.

However, this kind woman pretended not to hear my asinine comments and began a conversation with us. She spoke perfect English, and revealed herself as a jewelry designer, with a place in New York where she spends part of her year. After further conversation (we had a lot of time to kill) she also explained her familial relationships to several diplomats and even an ambassador. Being a bunch of international affairs nerds, with a flair for accessories, we were obviously intrigued. We spent probably about a half hour talking to her, and we all could sense her genuine interest in learning why we were here and in turn sharing her life experiences. It was after this short conversation, she presented us with her number and invited us over to her house next Friday, so we could see her jewelry studio and she could cook us Turkish foods.

Now, to back up, in America, this would be considered weird and creepy. Some rando woman giving us her digits and inviting us over for some grub. But here, and in other places I have visited, it is encounters such as this that are the norm. People are willing to accept you into their homes, and not just to make ladies clothing out of your skin. There is a genuine compassion for humankind that rarely exists back home…


…because the most interesting part of making plans with strangers and acquaintances in another land is that these plans are about 90% followed through. I think about all the times I encounter people at home, even people I consider friends, and have the same “Oh my god we should totally do something soon…” conversation, yet both parties know that something will never happen. Always there are busy schedules, emergencies, or episodes of Jersey Shore that get in the way of a theoretical hang out sesh. But in this land, people stay true to their word. All of the fist pumping in the world does not compare to the entertainment gained from hosting company and learning about the lives lived by others.

After I returned from A-town, I tried to emulate this type of attitude. If I told someone we should meet up later, I tried to actually meet up! It worked for a few weeks, but as time wore on the American disposition got the best of me and I sunk back into my old, noncommittal ways.

Sometimes this is a good thing, for we have learned it unwise to trust just anyone. However, this unassuming woman with the Princeton sweatpants, kind eyes, red scarf, and need for a new debit card seemed harmless and genuine. Of course, we will be Americans, we will bring our cell-phones, travel in a pack, and horribly mispronounce Turkish greetings……but I am really looking forward to next Friday!

Love, peace and elbow grease
Annie G.

1 comment:

Kate said...

yeah. The hospitality thing feels a bit like kidnapping sometimes... but it's what I miss the most when I"m on the other side of the pond.