NOTE-OLD AND DELAYED ENTRY
So most times I write about the ridiculous antics I seem to get myself into. I know that many people are entertained by some of the stupid things I have been doing. Sometimes my individual actions seem to be acceptable. For example, singing karaoke in front of the entire student body that I teach might seem like a good idea. Lady Marmalade is a catchy and fun song. Singing Lady Marmalade in front of the entire student body that I teach…..well you see how I could mess this kind of thing up.
Regardless of my antics, there are some really serious things that go on here too. Probably only 3 people in the whole of the United States society have followed and or cared about the politics of Turkey. I know this, because despite being an International Relations Major, I was one of these people…that is until I had my own invasion of this country. Of course I knew the basics before arriving, United Nations country with a quest to enter the European Union but a pesky Armenian problem that has been holding them back. However, living in the capital city, and right down the street from the headquarters of AK Parti, the conservative party in power, has given me insight into politics of a country that many people could never experience.
I guess it all started about a month ago. I was sitting in my apartment on the 11th floor when all of a sudden I heard loud beeping and shouting outside. I went to the window only to see the lights of what appeared to be hundreds of cars piled up in the road, seemingly en route to AKP headquarters. The cars were at a standstill, blocking the road and causing commotion. There were police lights everywhere, and I thought to myself “this is odd.”
This was the same thing I thought while walking through a labor union hunger strike in Kizilay a few weeks before. Granted, they sure had a lot of barbacues going on for a hunger strike, but in the dead cold people gathered and camped out in the square, trying to make a statement to prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Soon enough the police would break that gathering up also.
The incident outside my window was because of something called “Operation Sledgehammer” a controversial and often denied coup d’etat attempt. When The Holy Ataturk took power and created the modern Republic of Turkey, the strongest tenant of his new nation was secularism. Even though the overwhelming population of Turkey is, like Ataturk himself, Muslim, the country thrives on secular beliefs. While it is obviously Islam influenced, most people pride themselves in their modern secularism, thus relating themselves politically closer to Europe (even though their traditions and societal beliefs are much more middle eastern). Because of this, the government must always be wary of becoming too Islamist.
Picture Recep Tayyip Erdogan as the George W. Bush of Turkey. Not only is he very conservative, he has a strong religious background and is widely disliked by most of the Turkish population. Because of this, there has been much speculation of a Military Overthrow of the government.
As badass as that sounds, and as much as I would love to be a part of a revolution, it is not quite that way. Military coups are not a new idea here in Turkey, and in fact, they have happened quite a few times before. Think of it as a more hostile form of checks and balances. If the military feels that the government in power is becoming too islamist, than they take over, kick the current leader out of power, rule for two years until everyone calms down, and then conduct a new vote. Usually it works, and everyone is happy…except for the deposed leader I guess.
However, in Sledgehammer, military officials deny any coup attempt, however Recep had them arrested anyways. In my opinion, this even further tarnishes his image, as many people are viewing him more along the lines as a dictator thirsty for power, than a conservative democratic leader.
Needless to say, it has been very interesting to follow, and I’m sure more will develop.
BY THE WAY- went to istanbul - BEST PLACE EVER!!!!!!!!
g-out
No comments:
Post a Comment