Monday, December 20, 2010

The Holiday Spirit....aka- school vacation


Alot of my friends, and myself, have been feeling a bit disconnected to the holidays this year. I don't have the typical jingle in my step, the obsession with all things christmas. Hell, I haven't even really been listening to christmas music all that much (albeit for the continuous playing of that damn mariah carey song which I can't seem to escape).


So this morning, as I took the train into work, I wondered why I didn't feel as connected to the jollyness of the season. Yes, I have had a stressful past few months transitioning home and dealing with unexpected life issues, but I don't think thats what it is....


I don't get christmas vacation anymore.


Now that I am a real person with a job, I don't get the typical 2 weeks off that I have grown so used to in my life. Since elementary school, we have grown up knowing that this time of year provided at least a week and a half of carefree time to spend with your family and friends. This is when we usually all gather in one spot and drink copious amounts of rum-infused eggnog. This is the time that we enjoy every moment of the day...because we usually sleep until 3 in the afternoon each day and need to make up for lost time.


But no, this year, I am a real person, and christmas falls on a saturday. I have to work all week, and celebrate this year as a weekend holiday.


Granted, I shouldn't complain. I mean Santa works 364 days a year just for this one moment of glory...


Happy Holidays all!

-G

No comments: