Sunday, June 13, 2010

Türkiye'ye hoşgeldiniz...

Wow...

One week left in Turkey.

It is unreal.

I have done so many things here, and met so many wonderful people, I feel like I have been here for 5 years but I only got here yesterday. So I wanted to make a list of accomplishments/ notable events.

In Turkey..I have...

-Met people from almost every country in the world (give or take)

-taught the country the "fist pump" and the "single ladies" dance

-Made best friends with transvestites at eski yeni

-took over a bar at 80s night

-did way to much karaoke

-Climbed a mountain through the ancient ruins of Termessos

-explored a cave in Alanya

-Saw the ancient cities of Side, Heiropolis, Smyrna, Perge, Termessos, Antalya, Ankara, Istanbul and Epheseus

-Saw the sunset over the Mediterranean, Marmara, Aegean and Black Sea

-Developed a whole new appreciation for Ataturk, Yogurt and Kebabs

-Walked around Lake Abant

-Had a Turkish style BBQ

-Went to Hagia Sofia, Pammukkale, and various other World Wonders/ UNESCO heritage sites

-Traveled to Dracula-filled Romania with my amazing boyfriend Gil

-Crashed a Turkish wedding

-got unwillingly snuggled by a bus attendant on the way home from Antalya.

-Made Fried Chicken, Macaroni and Cheese, and strawberry shortcake...to show that American food is not just Macdonalds.

-created long-lasting, meaningful relationships with the students...on facebook

-Learned Turkish...kind of

-Photobombed hundreds of cameras

-Found a baby that I actually enjoy and think is really cute (a first) Mehmet!

-"Went dutch" with the dutch!

-saw a potential military government overthrow from my window

-witnessed anti-israel protests after the flotilla raid

-argued over and over that no, there were jews killed in 9/11 and they did not bomb the towers regardless of what "wingdings" tells you

-convinced a country I was Turkish

-Swam in the travertines in Pamukkale

-Visited the house of the Virgin Mary

-became a "regular" at Old Mariner and Bypass

-Ordered MacDonalds, BurgerKing, Quick China, and Dominoes...and had it all delivered (Just like America!)

-Went to a Death Metal show with Gil!

-Spent a whole weekend bouncing around all Universities festivals!

-Heard the song "FACEBOOK" a million times

-Instigated a snowball fight at my place of business

-got a haircut....trust me it was an adventure

-made manti (turkish ravioli) by hand!

-learned how to cook...sort of

-Climbed up Ulus Castle

-attended Fasil and drank "Turkish Magic"

-Walked along the old streets of the ancient spice route

-Gazed at the beauty inside of a Mosque

-Convinced an entire Bar that yes, you should be dancing on Tables

-Celebrated my 22nd birthday with some of the best people in the world

-Rode in the trunk of a Kurdish mans Taxi all across Antalya

-Found the Uppercrust Pizza in Istanbul!

-Fell in love with another country, and Missed my former flame, America.

-AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH WEENIE


PEACE
G

1 comment:

ticklishh said...

I went to Turkey on exchange and I miss it so. Was nice to read your post and note that I have done some (but not most!) of the things you did too. Looks like you managed to cover alot in your stay there. All the best!