Thursday, October 21, 2010

Finding a job....the battle for entry level


For those of you who are young, perhaps in high school, and considering enrolling in a prestigious university, I offer you this advice...

Don't.

As a recent cum laude college grad from the 69th best university in the nation, with experience working on capitol hill, a university in another country, security at a top venue, one of the top-earning tourist attractions in the city of Boston, and a whole list of other random jobs I have held over the year, one would think I would be a shoe-in for a juicy-salaried career...

But you would be wrong.

Now I know this all sounds very egotistical, and while my stunning resume and well-written cover letters are something to brag about, it is nothing without a response. Since I have returned home (about 2 months ago) I have sent out AT LEAST a resume a day, most times more. With all of this emailing, calling and confirming, I have maybe heard back from 4 people.

In fact, because I was so desperate for some cash, I even applied to Best Buy, Petco, Borders, and all the restaurants at Patriot Place...

...none of which have called me back.

For a while I thought it was me, perhaps I wasn't as smart as I thought I was. Perhaps my intellectual capacity holds no more than what is necessary of a basic clerical worker. Perhaps all of my hopes, dreams and goals are really nothing more than a bunch of crap.

But then I turned to my peers and saw I wasn't alone. In the state of this economy, it is insanely difficult to not only get a job, but one that pays well.

If I had graduated 5 years ago, with the amount of experience I have, I would have easily been able to play my cards right and walk into a 50,000 dollar a year job, perhaps even more. I would not have needed to move home, would not have needed to apply for weekend retail, would not have needed to wake up each day and look at my 97 rusting and heatless grand marquis, and definitely would not have needed to live paycheck to paycheck.

Luckily, I did play my cards somewhat right. I have been freelance writing and working for a textile company (it helps when you are dating the boss and they need a temp) but then I think to myself....I have a degree...and couldn't even get a job at Petco.

The problem is not only that jobs are scarce, but so is experience. Whenever I look at a posting I immediately scroll down to qualifications. Even entry level positions require 2-5 years experience! And not only are we up against all the millions of recent college grads, but also all the other people who were laid off during the economic recession...and usually those people....have experience.

So while it was all well and good back in the day, going to college and graduating with a nice salary that is, I am now stuck battling for 25-30,000 a year positions, while watching thousands of dollars of student loans pile up behind me.

So again, if you are living in 2010, and thinking about college...

Learn how to be a mechanic instead...













...I still need my car's heater fixed.....




Peace,

Annie G

No comments: